Ribbon Curl Sam Villa Style
This entry was posted on September 8, 2010.
Fashion is expanding…instead of skin-tight silhouettes and skinny jeans, ruffled skirts, draped tops and flared minis are exploding with volume and movement. Sam Villa, founding partner of the Sam Villa brand and Education Artistic Director for Redken 5th Avenue, sees the same in hair – soft expansion, volume and natural texture refreshing traditional shapes with width and interest. Think Jessica Alba and January Jones’ new looks.
Villa devised the Ribbon Curl technique to help women create this modern relaxed curl with a sense of laziness and soft expansion. The idea is to stretch hair with heat – and due to the placement and wrap technique, when hair is removed it bounces back and is curled. Think of the ribbons on gifts that are stretched with a scissor and then curl up once released. Villa adds, “When taking sections – the larger the section, the softer the curl. The smaller the section, the more defined the curl. So, a ¼” section would yield a tight curl and a 1” section a more relaxed curl.”
Create that Ribbon Curl at Home:
1. Take a medium size section 1” in length and ½” in width and prep with Redken iron silk 07 ultra straightening spray
2. Hold section in left hand
3. Hold the Sam Villa Signature Series SLEEKR, in right hand with the iron vertical and palm facing head
4. Pinch section at base, as you pinch, fold hand so palm faces you (still holding the section with left hand)
5. Slowly slide iron down to the end of the hair shaft ad release hair – it will spring into a ribbon curl.
6. Finish with Redken workforce 09 flexible volumizing spray