How Can I Get Rid of This Frizz?! -- 5 Steps to a Frizz Free Life!
This entry was posted on December 13, 2013.
As keratin treatments and other smoothing remedies continue to become more popular in the beauty business, we're realizing how much of a problem frizzy hair can be -- and how many people are affected by it! Even those people with 'perfect' hair cannot defeat the effects that weather and harsh elements can have on our hair daily. Luckily, there are some tried and true methods to preventing frizz from gaining its own zip-code and taking over your life. Here are the 5 steps I have personally found the most reliable in my battle against fizz:
1. Use the Right Shampoo and Conditioner! Shampoos and conditioners are our first line of defense against frizz. If you're using the wrong formula for your personal hair type than you will NOT get the results you want -- no ifs ands or buts about it. There is a reason that manufacturers have been vigilant in providing you with this information, generally right on the front of the bottles. There's no more excuses - take advantage of their advice, they are doing you a HUGE favor. If you have fine, frizzy hair - use products that accommodate that hair type. Don't settle for the first one that claims to resolve one of your hair problems, if it's not the right formula, it may end up doing the opposite!
2. Pre-treat! Before even conditioning your hair, try an organic, COOL rinse. The best part about this step? You probably already have this item at home! Apple cider vinegar has been proven to help smooth hair and add a world of shine. After shampooing and rinsing, cover hair with apple cider vinegar. Leave this on for 30 seconds to a minute and rinse with cool water, this will close your cuticles and help seal the shine in. After this you can condition as always, washing away any unpleasant vinegar odor.
3. Blot Hair Dry! I'm sure you have heard this before - never rough up your hair while towel drying! Although its the quick and easy habit that we are all used to - make sure you stop and take the time to blot your hair dry after shampooing. Roughing it up with a towel will certainly take more water out more quickly -- but it will also open up your hair cuticles leaving hair looking rough ragged and frizzy.
4. Use a Thermal Protectant: many people believe that since flat-irons have come to be that there is no frizz that can't be battled. This could not be further from the truth. If you rent using a thermal protectant DAILY - even on days you don't shampoo and just style - chances are, you are making more frizz. Not protecting your hair before adding high heat can cause serious breakage and split ends. This tiny step will make a world of difference! Our favorite is FHI Hot Sauce!
5. Use a Light Daily Serum! Using just a drop or two of a serum or a mist of shine spray will help smooth down any frizz you have leftover and the essential oils in most serums are another great way to maintain your hairs hydration! We love all of the Maijan Oils for this! For those of you with fine hair who are hesitant to start with a serum, try the Maijan Shimmer Shine Spray - and spray onto strands from 5-6 inches away so it lightly coats your strands without weighing them down. You will love it!