Ever take a look at your hairbrush and ask yourself, "I wonder if they could make a straightening tool in the shape of a brush?" Well now there is!
Recently we've had the opportunity to review the DROK Electric Straightening Hairbrush. This product is shaped just like a standard Oval Paddle Brush. While it is not as light as your typical hairbrush, for having a heating element in its' back, it is not very heavy. The brush features a very ergonomic design which makes for easy styling. The maximum temperature setting is 450 degrees Fahrenheit, 232 Celsius. The brush has a relatively quick heat up of about 3-5 minutes. Prior to using the brush it is essential that you comb through your hair with a regular hair brush to remove any knots. While the product is a hair brush, the bristles are not flexible like those of a regular brush. Once you've combed through your hair and the brush is heated up, you can take sections of about an inch to an inch and a half, and brush through. If the brush is on the proper heating setting, it should only take 1 to 2 swipes to achieve straight hair. With a simple flick in the wrist, you can also create flips or angles to style your hair. Unlike flat irons, this is not a product you can create curls with. This is a great product for all ages and hair types. We tested this product on mildly wavy hair, and it was able to straighten and style the hair perfectly! Because of the high temperature settings an entire head of medium-long hair, took about 15 minutes to straighten.
Pros: Reasonably priced, ergonomic handle, swivel cord, quick heat up, custom adjustable temperature settings, easy to use and an overall effective styling tool.
Cons: Temperature displays in Celsius.
Lately, Kim Kardashian has been buzzing about a new miracle hair product that she is swearing by to repair damage overnight! We've all watched her latest drastic hair changes from blonde ombre to black and back to platinum blonde then dark brown again. This girl had to have some major chemical breakage... but now, she's shared her secret as to why her hair isn't breaking off and destroying her gorgeous locks. But, the best part... she's not even being paid to endorse it -- so it must be legit. After all, we all know how when we genuinely love a product, we can't wait to be the first to tell everyone all about it. So, what is it? Olaplex. A 3 part system that is incorporated into your salon color services and followed up with at home. Parts one and two take place during your color service and shampoo and part 3 is a follow up treatment to use once a week and as a pre treatment to your next color service. This is particularly helpful in any bleach service to prevent that nasty chemical cut and mushy ends that can happen from over processing. If it worked for Kim and all her recent bleaching -- I'd absolutely be willing to give it a shot!
Here at StyleBell, we know hair. So, with that, we also know how frustrating the summer's humidity can be for most hair types. We've decided to fight this humidity battle with you by rounding up all of our tried and true methods to prevent the humid moisture from messing up your hair and your day. These are our go-to tips:
1.) Switch up your shampoo: There are two opposite problems humidity can cause for you depending on your hair type. If you're someone who's hair flops and falls flat as soon as there is a tiny bit of moisture in the air, switch to a super light weight volumizing shampoo. This will prevent the added moisture in the air from weighing your hair down & causing you to look oily and straggly. If you're the type, like me, who's hair tends to grow while it is humid, switch to a super heavy moisture shampoo and conditioner. This will jam pack your hair with moisture and prevent it from absorbing too much in the humidity. Plus, if your straight style tends to curl up in the moisture, the added weight of this shampoo and conditioner combo will help it from growing upwards and probably contribute to a nice, natural wave!
2.) Use products generously! Even if you are afraid the humidity will weigh you down and make you fall flat, do NOT -- I repeat -- do NOT avoid using products because of this. Load your hair up generously with all of your favorite styling products, including a thermal protectant with a humidity shield. Adding product while styling provides a coating that the moisture would have to break through first before causing any havoc on your style. We like to refer to it as our product forcefield ;)
3.) Don't be afraid to get sprayed: I know there are tons of people who absolutely hair to use hairspray -- I am one of them. However, when you know it is humid, you must go against your belief of remaining hairspray and natural and spray it up! Using a light finishing spray or a light hold hairspray reinforces that product forcefield we just discussed and actually reactivates when it is humid out to double protect your hair. Be sure you are looking for a humidity shield or protectant while product shopping!
We hope we've given you some helpful tips as to how to beat this humid season with perfect hair!
If you haven't heard about the Babyliss Miracurl curl machine by know, it's time to check out our video about how this miracle machine works. This makes curling possible for even the most curl challenged people. This machine handles everything from heat settings, curl rotation, and time. It even beeps to let you know when your curl is cooked to perfection! We hope you love this product as much as we do!
Coconut oil has become huge lately for all of it's amazing health benefits however, you will pleased to know, it also has the same amazing benefits for your hair -- and it smells amazing & beachy in the process! Perfect all natural hair and skin treatments for the summer time! We've dug up just a few of our favorite coconut oil beauty uses, but trust me, it doesn't end here! There are endless options with this wonder oil!
1. Hot Oil Treatment -- this will leave your hair feeling incredibly soft! Plus, it's all natural so you know exactly what you are using on you, or your children's, hair after the beachy salt water has stripped it of it's moisture! How do you use it? Well, for those of you who are already familiar with coconut oil, you know it comes in a more semi-solid form, so we recommend scooping out 2-3 tablespoons into a microwave safe dish and heating it until it melts into it's oil form. This time may very but should not take more than a few seconds! Then, apply it to your hair starting from root to tips and leave on for 15-20 minutes. We prefer to use a shampoo cap so that we don't get our clothing oily and to lock in the extra heat from our scalp to help the oils penetrate deep into our strands.
2. Overnight Deep Conditioning Treatment -- Following the same steps as in number one, we love using coconut oil on wet hair and leaving it on as an overnight deep conditioning treatment. For this treatment, we definitely recommend the shower cap to prevent the oils from getting all over your pillows. You will be amazed at how soft and smooth your hair feels after shampooing the oil out the next morning!
3. Face & Body Moisturizer -- Melting the oil the same way you did for the hair treatments, we LOVE using coconut oil as a face and body moisturizer or make up primer. The delicious oil absorbs into our skin while leaving it with a super shimmery, healthy glow that is perfect for summer! For the face, we recommend taking your index finger and dabbing it into the melted oil, then putting a dot under each eye. From those dots, use your fingers to help spread the oil by dabbing it to encompass the entire area surrounding your eye. This will make your eyes bright and help to eliminate the appearance of dark circles. For the rest of your face, use 1-2 more dabs with your index finger, dispersing it evenly among your face and neck. The product is so smooth that a little goes a long way. For the body, follow the same type of routine while instead of using the index finger to apply, use the oil by rubbing it between your palms and applying like regular body lotion. Leave the extra oil on your hands as a cuticle oil for an added bonus!
4. Bath Soak -- and last but definitely not least, we absolutely LOVE adding coconut oil to our bathwater for a super hydrating and aromatic soak! The added bonus with this one? It leaves a crazy healthy sheen on your skin post-bath! We recommend using between a 1/4 and 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil per full tub. You will love how relaxing this is!
We are obsessing over the slicked-back wet look Kendall Jenner was rocking at the Billboard Music awards this weekend -- SO simple and SO sexy! We loved it so much we had to write up a hair how-to so we can all have fun recreating this look at home.
What You'll Need:
- Shampoo & Lightweight Conditioner (we recommend Daily Beauty for Wildlife Amplifying Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner)
- Volumizing Mousse like Bain de Terre Rise and Shine Volumizing Foam
- Hydrating Shine Serum like our favorite Maijan Leave-In
- Finishing Spray like Simply Smooth Humidity Shield Hairspray
- Shimmer Shine Spray for added shine (optional)
How to Get the Look:
- Start by using your lightweight shampoo & conditioner to get your hair nice and clean without adding any extra weight. You will be adding some heavier based products later, so the lightweight conditioner in this step will prevent your hair from becoming too flat!
- Load up your hair with mousse, starting at the roots & working your way down. I recommend a good 3-4 pumps for shoulder length hair and or a small handful from an aerosol bottle.
- Using a round brush to smooth your frizzes & get some lift at the roots, blow dry your hair off your face towards the back of your head. For MAXIMUM volume before styling, flip your head upside down and give your roots a good blow-dry before starting this step. Then, if necessary, flat iron your hair towards the back, avoiding the roots as much as possible to prevent loosing your volume.
- Pump out a few pumps of your shine serum into your palms and work them together well. Use your fingertips to gently guide the hair towards the back of your head while giving it a more sleek look. Be careful not to overload your root area, but don't be shy working the product through the mid shaft and ends!
- During step 4 and after, use a finishing spray to help secure your look in place, focusing on the roots and mid shaft in this step. Keep using your finger tips with serum on them to help guide the finishing spray through your strands! Be generous with your finishing spray, especially if you have bangs, but be sure to hold the product about 6-12 inches away from your head to prevent getting your look too "wet," depending on the type of hold hairspray you've chosen. For hairsprays with a heavier hold, hold the product closer to 12 inches away and vice versa for lightweight sprays.
- If you want to add some extra shine after all of this, try giving your hair 1 or 2 spritz of the Maijan Shimmer Shine Spray from about 6 inches away. Use your palms to evenly distribute it across the smooth surface of your slicked back look!
Well, if you're a curly girl or have gorgeous natural waves, you already know that blowdrying your hair is usually too harsh and turns your pretty locks into a frizzy 'fro. Diffusers are a great way to gently dry your hair without over-drying or adding too much heat to your super fragile curly hair. Have a diffuser but not sure where to start? That's where we come in! We've made a super easy step by step for you to follow to make diffusing a no-brainer (which it is!)
1.) Ditch Your Brush: When your hair is wet, its never good to just yank a brush through it, but this is especially true for curly hair that tends to "stretch." Try to finger comb your hair or use a wide tooth comb to allow the most of your natural curl to come through while diffusing. Use a detangler, or our favorite Maijan Frizz Eliminator for this step, it will make this step MUCH easier.
2.) Products Are Your Friends: We LOVE LOVE LOVE to use mousse when we diffuse, but you can use any of your favorite curl products for this step. Use them generously but prevent using too much, we want this to be a natural look, not crunchy.
3.) Time To Diffuse: The best part about a diffuser is how the wide surface distributes air and makes it far more gentle to put the unit directly to your hair. You don't have to do this but if you find it helps to place the ends of your hair on the diffuser and dry upwards, we find this is a very effective method for waves! For extremely curly girls, we recommend flipping your hair upside down and diffusing that way. With both techniques, continuously scrunch your hair with your hands to help promote as much curl and wave as possible. Looking for a less curly/wavy look? Scrunch less.
4.) Know Your Hair: This may take you a few diffuser sessions, but that's okay because we are lucky enough to live in a world with endless flat irons and curling irons to help us touch things up until we become a pro! You may find that you are able to dry your hair 3/4 of the way and let it air dry the rest of the way for a more natural look, or you may be one who likes to dry it all the way to make sure you end up with a perfectly predictable look. Either way, you can always touch it up with your tools!
5.) Finish With A Spritz! Use a light mist of hairspray with a hold of your choice to help seal in your look and lock out humidity and frizz but luckily, we all know that curly girls often benefit from humidity! Time to embrace your inner curly girl!
We love this little video we found that shows how easy it is to be an at-home diffusing pro!
Want to achieve Curl Consciousness? Just follow the advice of Bumble & bumble! This easy step-by-step guide will have you coaxing those curls into dreamy ringlets in no time...
Shown: Bumble & bumble
Curl Conscious Conditioner Hot Mama
Shampoo and Condition with the Curl Conscious Shampoo and Conditioner for your hair type. There are a few different types according to your curl type and hair thickness.
For fine to medium hair:
Bumble and bumble Curl Conscious Shampoo Nordic Angel, Bumble and bumble Curl Conscious Conditioner Wispy Waif
For medium to thick hair:
Bumble and bumble Curl Conscious Shampoo Wild Child, Bumble and bumble Curl Conscious Conditioner Hot Mama
Towel dry hair. Squeeze out water – do not rub!
Starting with a quarter-size dollop, work Curl Cream into hair with fingers from roots to ends and from nape forward. Lots of hair? Lots of Curl Cream. Use enough to thoroughly coat.
For fine to medium hair:
Bumble and bumble Curl Conscious Curl Cream Wavy Woman
For medium to thick hair:
Bumble and bumble Curl Conscious Curl Cream Kinky Chick
Comb through with a wide tooth comb.
Gently lift sections of hair and corkscrew around your finger toward your face (clockwise at left of center part, counter-clockwise at right) and twirl tendril downward. The thicker the hair, the larger the section. The finer the hair, the smaller the section.
Work from nape up to natural part.
After each twirl, tenderly cup and press toward the scalp (don’t squash) and release. Repeat everywhere. Don’t obsess – too perfect curls look fake.
Pick random pieces around the face and on top and repeat twirling, making sure they curl toward your face from the root.
When nearly dry (80%), place fingers spread at the scalp and gently press hair upward for lift.
Don’t comb, brush, fuss or fiddle. If you really must blow-dry, use a diffuser to minimize frizz.
With Bumble and bumble products it's so easy to have the curls of your dreams! Visit our Bumble and bumble section for more information and product details.
Flat iron styling is easy with GHD as your guide!
To achieve straight, sleek locks:
Lightly mist hair with GHD Thermal Protector then use a little GHD Obedience Cream (pictured).
Open the iron and place a section of dry hair between the plates.
Ensure that the iron is as close to the root as possible before closing the plates.
Gently move the iron downward - from root to tip - in one simple gliding motion.
Repeat the process for each section of hair, gliding once from roots to ends.
GHD makes a protectant for every hair type - check them out here: GHD Thermal Protectants.
To achieve stunning curls:
Lightly mist hair with GHD Thermal Protectant (pictured).
Section the hair, and lightly dab some Obedience Cream to secure hold when creating each curl.
Position the iron vertically, 1 inch away from the root.
Gently close the iron with minimum tension.
Turn the iron 90° clockwise and continue to turn the iron another 90°.
For an intense, S-shaped, vertical curl, pull the iron very slowly away from the head in a continuous smooth movement.
To complete the style, repeat for all sections.
Finally, separate and dress the curls with your fingers.
To achieve seductive, waves:
Lightly mist hair with GHD Thermal Protector.
Section the hair, and lightly rub a little GHD Smoothing Balm to eliminate frizz and secure hold while styling.
Position the iron vertically, 1 inch away from the root.
Gently close the iron with minimum tension.
Turn the iron 90° clockwise.
Pull the iron very slowly away from the head in a continuous smooth movement.
GHD is a leader in heat-styling with professional ceramic styling irons plus GHD Thermodynamics™, a collection of heat styling products. Visit our GHD section for more information or go directly to one of our GHD sections for product details:
GHD Hair Care, GHD Hair Brushes, GHD Flat Irons.
For nearly twenty years, Nioxin has worked at unraveling the complex challenge of how best to address, and most importantly, how to provide a solution for thin-looking hair for the millions who battle this discouraging problem. After years of research it is clear to them that the health of the scalp is directly related to the health and growth cycle of human hair, and practicing proper scalp hygiene requires a careful process of preventive maintenance and daily care.
For Nioxin, it takes more than one step or one product to achieve a healthy, nourished scalp. It’s important to use a system of customized products for your hair type and condition—products that cleanse the hair shaft, the environment on the scalp skin and the follicle tissue.
Then, it’s essential to moisturize and energize the cellular activity of the scalp skin and the living hair, nourishing the hair follicle and surrounding tissue. This process requires using select cleansers, conditioners and treatments, supplements and styling products that contain bionutrients, like vitamins, proteins and amino acids.
Did you know?
Many conventional shampoos, conditioners and styling products simply coat the hair and create buildup on the scalp. The scalp must be treated properly to keep the scalp environment and hair looking young, healthy and vibrant.
Only Nioxin has the unconventional ingredients and unconventional products for that process. Nioxin products are formulated to be Skincare for the scalp because beautiful, healthy-looking hair starts where your hair begins—with the scalp.
Through a daily regimen of cleansing, moisturizing and nourishing, each Nioxin system works to help improve the appearance of thinning hair while creating and maintaining an optimum scalp environment in three easy steps:
Nioxin Cleanser System 1
CLEANSE: Your daily volumizing cleanser should gently remove residue and DHT from the hair and scalp to promote a healthy scalp environment. It should also provide nourishing vitamins, proteins and amino acids. See Nioxin Shampoo Cleanser System
MOSTURIZE: A daily volumizing hair and scalp conditioner should moisturize and energize while promoting a healthy scalp environment with soothing essential oils, special anti-oxidants and enzymatic complexes. See Nioxin Scalp Therapy Conditioner System 1.
NOURISH: A daily leave-in scalp treatment should contain an SPF 15 sunscreen that protects the scalp skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays - while delivering essential botanicals, nutrients, antioxidants and cytokines (proteins) onto the scalp skin and hair to help safeguard against environmental residue and DHT buildup on the scalp. See Nioxin Scalp Treatment System 1.
The Nixon Technology
BioAmp™ adds thickness and strength
Activ-Renewal™ gives a more youthful-looking scalp and fuller, healthier hair
Scalp Access™ Delivery System helps protect nutrients as they moisturize and energize the scalp and hair combined with SPF 15 scalp protection against UV rays.
The world-renowned team of Nioxin researchers have developed the most advanced, natural-based system to improve the appearance of fine and thinning hair — Nioxin Thinning Hair Systems. Nioxin has numbered its systems to make it easier to choose the 3-step system that best fits your needs.
The Nioxin systems scientifically work on the hair that is developing in the follicle in the Growth Cycle, by feeding nutrients and making needed repairs. With a variety of different treatment options, you will achieve the results you want with Nioxin, Skincare for the scalp.
For more information and product details visit our Nioxin section.