Here at StyleBell, we know hair. So, with that, we also know how frustrating the summer's humidity can be for most hair types. We've decided to fight this humidity battle with you by rounding up all of our tried and true methods to prevent the humid moisture from messing up your hair and your day. These are our go-to tips:
1.) Switch up your shampoo: There are two opposite problems humidity can cause for you depending on your hair type. If you're someone who's hair flops and falls flat as soon as there is a tiny bit of moisture in the air, switch to a super light weight volumizing shampoo. This will prevent the added moisture in the air from weighing your hair down & causing you to look oily and straggly. If you're the type, like me, who's hair tends to grow while it is humid, switch to a super heavy moisture shampoo and conditioner. This will jam pack your hair with moisture and prevent it from absorbing too much in the humidity. Plus, if your straight style tends to curl up in the moisture, the added weight of this shampoo and conditioner combo will help it from growing upwards and probably contribute to a nice, natural wave!
2.) Use products generously! Even if you are afraid the humidity will weigh you down and make you fall flat, do NOT -- I repeat -- do NOT avoid using products because of this. Load your hair up generously with all of your favorite styling products, including a thermal protectant with a humidity shield. Adding product while styling provides a coating that the moisture would have to break through first before causing any havoc on your style. We like to refer to it as our product forcefield ;)
3.) Don't be afraid to get sprayed: I know there are tons of people who absolutely hair to use hairspray -- I am one of them. However, when you know it is humid, you must go against your belief of remaining hairspray and natural and spray it up! Using a light finishing spray or a light hold hairspray reinforces that product forcefield we just discussed and actually reactivates when it is humid out to double protect your hair. Be sure you are looking for a humidity shield or protectant while product shopping!
We hope we've given you some helpful tips as to how to beat this humid season with perfect hair!
If you haven't heard about the Babyliss Miracurl curl machine by know, it's time to check out our video about how this miracle machine works. This makes curling possible for even the most curl challenged people. This machine handles everything from heat settings, curl rotation, and time. It even beeps to let you know when your curl is cooked to perfection! We hope you love this product as much as we do!
Check out these natural remedies to promote healthy scalp and hair growth -- from your kitchen! We're a bit skeptical, but it definitely couldn't hurt to try!
1.) Coconut Milk Rinse: Due to it's high electrolyte and essential fat content, coconut milk is said to infuse the hair and scalp with many nutrients we lose during shampooing. And coconut smells pretty awesome, so this, I would definitely try! It's pretty simple - mix together your coconut milk from a fresh coconut, a squeeze of fresh lemon and any essential oils you would like to add and apply it generously to the hair and scalp. Let sit on hair for 3-4 hours in a shampoo cap while you do all of your usual housework!
2.) Our Favorite: pH Balancing Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse: Now this, we have tried and LOVE! Apple cider vinegar is the easiest of these treatments to do AND it delivers complete results, every time. Apple Cider Vinegar helps to restore the scalps natural pH and keep it in it's most healthy condition which in turn promotes hair growth. Apply a 1:2 diluted solution to your hair and scalp after shampooing in the shower. Leave on for 5-10 then rinse. Condition as usual.
3.) Juice Of a Fresh Onion: Now, this one, we aren't so sure about, however the reasons for doing it make sense. Onions have a high sulfur content, which helps to promote collagen formation and in turn, is said to help hair growth. How to use it? Cut or grate a fresh onion and use the juices of the onion to apply a treatment directly to your scalp. Leave on for 10-15 minutes then shampoo.
Have any of you tried these home remedies? We would love to hear your thoughts!
During the summer, we all tend to forget how important it is to protect our hair from the sun while we are busy vigorously applying sunscreen to our skin -- but, keep in mind, your hair IS part of you skin, and could be treated as such to maintain healthiness and of course, bright vibrant colors! So, in order to make summer hair a breeze for you, we've rounded up our favorite hair care tips for you again!
1.) Always use sun protecting products! Even if you aren't one to typically use a lot of hair products, we recommend picking up a light weight leave-in with UVA-UVB protection and spray generously from root to tip if you're going to be having heavy sun exposure. Not only will this protect the integrity of your hair but it will maintain your hair color without excessive sun fade!
2.) Take advantage of the radiant heat! Well, if you're just relaxing on the beach enjoying the sunshine, you might as well let your hair enjoy it too. Grab your favorite conditioner or masque, lather it on and throw your hair up into a messy bun. Let the heat from the sun help the conditioner penetrate your hair strands. This will guarantee soft, manageable post-beach hair!
3.) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! The rule of thumb is, any extra measures that you take for your body in the summer - you should take for your hair, too. So, since you are always grabbing extra water to hydrate your body, it's important to take the extra time to make sure your hair is hydrated. Whether you are doing the deep conditioner treatment in the sun as recommended above, or if you're doing treatments in your shower -- it's extremely important to bump up your conditioning to a minimum of twice weekly and switch to a hydrating shampoo or conditioner.
4.) Protect your length from summer fade, in a cute way! If you're someone who spends a ton of time in the sun, it might be time to try a new style to wrap up your ends and protect your hair as much as possible from sun exposure without having to completely cover up your gorgeous locks. Our favorite suggestions? Braids, of course! This wraps the majority of your hair up securely while allowing you to look adorable at the same time!
5.) Follow up with your stylist for regular maintenance! This is MOST important in the summer. If you're the type of person -- as we all are -- to slack off on your regular trim appointments, summer is not the time to forget! While we are all running around enjoying the beautiful weather and our on-the-go lifestyles, it's very easy to go an entire summer without ANY salon maintenance if we let ourselves cancel just one appointment. Be vigilant in scheduling and reminding yourself to keep your appointments! Regular trims will help make all of this maintenance easier and help prevent excessive breakage!
Coconut oil has become huge lately for all of it's amazing health benefits however, you will pleased to know, it also has the same amazing benefits for your hair -- and it smells amazing & beachy in the process! Perfect all natural hair and skin treatments for the summer time! We've dug up just a few of our favorite coconut oil beauty uses, but trust me, it doesn't end here! There are endless options with this wonder oil!
1. Hot Oil Treatment -- this will leave your hair feeling incredibly soft! Plus, it's all natural so you know exactly what you are using on you, or your children's, hair after the beachy salt water has stripped it of it's moisture! How do you use it? Well, for those of you who are already familiar with coconut oil, you know it comes in a more semi-solid form, so we recommend scooping out 2-3 tablespoons into a microwave safe dish and heating it until it melts into it's oil form. This time may very but should not take more than a few seconds! Then, apply it to your hair starting from root to tips and leave on for 15-20 minutes. We prefer to use a shampoo cap so that we don't get our clothing oily and to lock in the extra heat from our scalp to help the oils penetrate deep into our strands.
2. Overnight Deep Conditioning Treatment -- Following the same steps as in number one, we love using coconut oil on wet hair and leaving it on as an overnight deep conditioning treatment. For this treatment, we definitely recommend the shower cap to prevent the oils from getting all over your pillows. You will be amazed at how soft and smooth your hair feels after shampooing the oil out the next morning!
3. Face & Body Moisturizer -- Melting the oil the same way you did for the hair treatments, we LOVE using coconut oil as a face and body moisturizer or make up primer. The delicious oil absorbs into our skin while leaving it with a super shimmery, healthy glow that is perfect for summer! For the face, we recommend taking your index finger and dabbing it into the melted oil, then putting a dot under each eye. From those dots, use your fingers to help spread the oil by dabbing it to encompass the entire area surrounding your eye. This will make your eyes bright and help to eliminate the appearance of dark circles. For the rest of your face, use 1-2 more dabs with your index finger, dispersing it evenly among your face and neck. The product is so smooth that a little goes a long way. For the body, follow the same type of routine while instead of using the index finger to apply, use the oil by rubbing it between your palms and applying like regular body lotion. Leave the extra oil on your hands as a cuticle oil for an added bonus!
4. Bath Soak -- and last but definitely not least, we absolutely LOVE adding coconut oil to our bathwater for a super hydrating and aromatic soak! The added bonus with this one? It leaves a crazy healthy sheen on your skin post-bath! We recommend using between a 1/4 and 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil per full tub. You will love how relaxing this is!
Does your hair seem to be suffering the consequences of your daily heat styling? Feeling dry and looking lifeless? This is a super simple fix! Dial down your heat settings to one that is more appropriate for your hair type. You will be amazed at how quickly you see a difference in the quality of your strands! We are always so quick to turn the dial up as high as it goes but that is the biggest mistake we could make for our hair! One of our hair experts, Deanna, breaks down some more appropriate temperatures for you in the video below!
We are obsessing over the slicked-back wet look Kendall Jenner was rocking at the Billboard Music awards this weekend -- SO simple and SO sexy! We loved it so much we had to write up a hair how-to so we can all have fun recreating this look at home.
What You'll Need:
- Shampoo & Lightweight Conditioner (we recommend Daily Beauty for Wildlife Amplifying Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner)
- Volumizing Mousse like Bain de Terre Rise and Shine Volumizing Foam
- Hydrating Shine Serum like our favorite Maijan Leave-In
- Finishing Spray like Simply Smooth Humidity Shield Hairspray
- Shimmer Shine Spray for added shine (optional)
How to Get the Look:
- Start by using your lightweight shampoo & conditioner to get your hair nice and clean without adding any extra weight. You will be adding some heavier based products later, so the lightweight conditioner in this step will prevent your hair from becoming too flat!
- Load up your hair with mousse, starting at the roots & working your way down. I recommend a good 3-4 pumps for shoulder length hair and or a small handful from an aerosol bottle.
- Using a round brush to smooth your frizzes & get some lift at the roots, blow dry your hair off your face towards the back of your head. For MAXIMUM volume before styling, flip your head upside down and give your roots a good blow-dry before starting this step. Then, if necessary, flat iron your hair towards the back, avoiding the roots as much as possible to prevent loosing your volume.
- Pump out a few pumps of your shine serum into your palms and work them together well. Use your fingertips to gently guide the hair towards the back of your head while giving it a more sleek look. Be careful not to overload your root area, but don't be shy working the product through the mid shaft and ends!
- During step 4 and after, use a finishing spray to help secure your look in place, focusing on the roots and mid shaft in this step. Keep using your finger tips with serum on them to help guide the finishing spray through your strands! Be generous with your finishing spray, especially if you have bangs, but be sure to hold the product about 6-12 inches away from your head to prevent getting your look too "wet," depending on the type of hold hairspray you've chosen. For hairsprays with a heavier hold, hold the product closer to 12 inches away and vice versa for lightweight sprays.
- If you want to add some extra shine after all of this, try giving your hair 1 or 2 spritz of the Maijan Shimmer Shine Spray from about 6 inches away. Use your palms to evenly distribute it across the smooth surface of your slicked back look!
Maintaining Your Blowout without Creases: The best way to maintain the volume and smoothness of your blowout overnight is to avoid the use of hair elastics in every way. However, you should absolutely smooth your hair back to prevent creases from lying on it, as well. How do we recommend you do this? Rolling your hair up with a bun-ease into a nice smooth bun – it will ass volume, keep hair smooth, and maybe even add a nice loose wave! Is your hair not long enough for a bun-ease? Use extra long bobby pins to roll your hair into a high bun in the same way. For a smoother, sleeker, less wavy look, wrap all of your hair around your head as seen above, and secure with a bobby pin. Sure, you may look silly, but I can guarantee your blowout will last!
Waking Up With Waves: Part your hair down the middle and braid or twist your hair in a pigtail fashion to evenly distribute waves across your head. Braids will give you a tighter, more kinky curl where twisting your hair (adding pieces in here and there) to secure the twist will give you loose, more beachy waves. You can control the type of wave you get by where you start your braids/twist. If you want just a little bit of wave at the ends, start there, if you want an all over look, try French braiding or twisting your hair while continuously adding new pieces into the twist.
Keep Your Bangs Banging: Bangs can be one of the most difficult tasks for some, especially those of us with cow-licks. However, they don't have to be! Once you’ve styled your bangs to perfection, there’s no reason you can’t maintain that style for days with your perfect blowout. Bangs can be tough, since they tend to get smushed around while we sleep no matter how we secure them, but there is definitely some quick fixes for it! Secure your bangs down to either side while you sleep using a bobby pin or any other type of flat pin. Some may fall out, but that’s okay, because you can fix it in the morning with a light mist of a water and leave-in conditioner combo and give it a quick blow dry back in place. It’s amazing how much this extra step of styling can actually help train cowlicks also!
Get Serious About Hydration: One of our FAVORITE ways to get the most out of any hair treatments or conditioning treatments is to throw our favorite shower cap on and leave it on overnight. Why? We tend to curl up in blankets when we sleep, raising the naturally elevated temperature of our scalp one or two degrees allowing for intense penetration of all of our favorite treatments. After all, if you’re going to do a treatment, you might as well save time and get the most bang for your buck by doing it while you sleep, right?!
Well, if you're a curly girl or have gorgeous natural waves, you already know that blowdrying your hair is usually too harsh and turns your pretty locks into a frizzy 'fro. Diffusers are a great way to gently dry your hair without over-drying or adding too much heat to your super fragile curly hair. Have a diffuser but not sure where to start? That's where we come in! We've made a super easy step by step for you to follow to make diffusing a no-brainer (which it is!)
1.) Ditch Your Brush: When your hair is wet, its never good to just yank a brush through it, but this is especially true for curly hair that tends to "stretch." Try to finger comb your hair or use a wide tooth comb to allow the most of your natural curl to come through while diffusing. Use a detangler, or our favorite Maijan Frizz Eliminator for this step, it will make this step MUCH easier.
2.) Products Are Your Friends: We LOVE LOVE LOVE to use mousse when we diffuse, but you can use any of your favorite curl products for this step. Use them generously but prevent using too much, we want this to be a natural look, not crunchy.
3.) Time To Diffuse: The best part about a diffuser is how the wide surface distributes air and makes it far more gentle to put the unit directly to your hair. You don't have to do this but if you find it helps to place the ends of your hair on the diffuser and dry upwards, we find this is a very effective method for waves! For extremely curly girls, we recommend flipping your hair upside down and diffusing that way. With both techniques, continuously scrunch your hair with your hands to help promote as much curl and wave as possible. Looking for a less curly/wavy look? Scrunch less.
4.) Know Your Hair: This may take you a few diffuser sessions, but that's okay because we are lucky enough to live in a world with endless flat irons and curling irons to help us touch things up until we become a pro! You may find that you are able to dry your hair 3/4 of the way and let it air dry the rest of the way for a more natural look, or you may be one who likes to dry it all the way to make sure you end up with a perfectly predictable look. Either way, you can always touch it up with your tools!
5.) Finish With A Spritz! Use a light mist of hairspray with a hold of your choice to help seal in your look and lock out humidity and frizz but luckily, we all know that curly girls often benefit from humidity! Time to embrace your inner curly girl!
We love this little video we found that shows how easy it is to be an at-home diffusing pro!
Unfortunately, the most common hair complaint we all have is how flat or "oily" our hair looks just a few short hours after spending a massive amount of time blowing it out to perfection. Luckily, you would be surprised how easily you can PART ways with this problem! The easiest way to give the illusion of fuller, less oily hair, is to STOP with the side part. We know you may love it, but switching your part to the center, or just slightly off center gives both sides of your head a much more equal distribution of your hair and helps natural oils distribute more evenly throughout the day. Take a look at Kate Hudson's major part makeover above. What a HUGE difference, right?!